Thursday, March 15, 2007

One of the greatest horror video game series

For my money, Silent hill is one of the best horror series yet done on Video games. (I hate it when people make statements like "this is the best EVER"! You have no way of knowing what lies in the future. So I just use the word "yet") This series took a different approach than Resident Evil and other scary games on the market and has bred many spin offs.

Silent Hill is a plot driven video game and is not a button masher. It relies on atmosphere more than sending hordes of enemies at the player. The visuals and sounds are particularly well done. These games look like something that David Lynch would produce. I own SH 1 through 4 and have played through them all. While there are flaws in each one, these games provide am amazing experience. Recently I played through Silent Hill 1 again. The incredible thing is even with the outdated graphics, I could feel my heart beat increase and the hairs on my neck stand up while playing this game.

The dialogue and voice acting isn't the best, but the rest of the game makes up for it. If you are a fan of scary movies and haven't played through these games I strongly urge you to give these games a shot.

The basic plot of the game is about this town Silent Hill (duh) and deals with the supernatural and dual realities. I'm not really giving anything away by telling you that there are actually two towns. The creatures you face are all reflections of the main characters inner demons. This game makes you look down a dark hallway...one that you're sure holds danger. Then it makes you walk into the darkness. (I know I'm probably coming off as pretty corny, but if you play through these games, you'll understand just how creepy they are.)

To give you a feel for the games, I'm including links to various SH videos. The intros don't really make much sense without playing through the game...but give the games a chance. I think if you do, you'll be please.

Please note: These games are graphic and are not intended for young players. Viewer discretion is advised. (Always wanted to say that!) Oh...and play at night, with the lights all and the volume turned up loud. These games WILL get under your skin.

Silent Hill 1 Intro (Fan made edit)
Silent Hill 2 Intro
Silent Hill 3 Intro
Making of Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 3 Intro (Fan made edit)
Silent Hill 4 Intro

No comments: